For those of us who like to read, there is so much beautiful and empowering literature out there to support our journey to mental health, wellness, and self-awareness.
This list is curated from my own journey as a bookworm. They are the books that moved me or taught me something special about myself or about the human experience.
I hope they support your own self-help path.
- “Call of the Wild: How We Heal Trauma, Awaken Our Own Power, and Use It For Good” by Kimberly Ann Johnson
- “What Happened to You?: Conversations on Trauma, Resilience, and Healing” by Oprah Winfrey and Bruce D. Perry Ph.D
- “In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness” by Peter A. Levine Ph.D. and Gabor Maté M.D
- “The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma” by Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
- “Anchored: How to Befriend your Nervous System Using Polyvagal Theory” by Deb Dana
- “How to Do the Work: Recognize Your Patterns, Heal from Your Past, and Create Your Self” by Dr. Nicole LePera
- “Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha” by Tara Brach Ph.D
- “It’s Not Always Depression: Working the Change Triangle to Listen to the Body, Discover Core Emotions and Connect to Your Authentic Self” by Hilary Jacobs Hendel
- “Courting the Wild Twin” by Martin Shaw
- “The Enchanted Life: Unlocking the Magic of the Everyday” by Sharon Blackie Ph.D
Reclaiming the Wild Feminine
- “Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype” by Clarissa Pinkola Estés Ph.D
- “The Heroine’s Journey: Woman’s Quest for Wholeness” by Maureen Murdock Ph.D
- “If Women Rose Rooted: A Life-changing Journey to Authenticity and Belonging” by Sharon Blackie Ph.D
The Beauty and Challenges of Neurodiversity
- “Scattered Minds: The Origins and Healing of Attention Deficit Disorder” by Gabor Maté MD
- “First, We Make the Beast Beautiful: A New Journey Through Anxiety” by Sarah Wilson
- “Divergent Mind: Thriving in a World that Wasn’t Designed for You” by Jenara Nerenburg
- “A Radical Guide for Women with ADHD: Embrace Neurodiversity, Live Boldly, and Break Through Barriers” by Sari Solden, MS
- “ADHD: A Hunter in a Farmer’s World” by Thom Hartmann
Mapping Your Inner World
- “No Bad Parts: Healing Trauma and Restoring Wholeness with the Internal Family Systems Model” by Richard C Schwartz Ph.D
- “Wild Mind: A Field Guide to the Human Psyche” by Bill Plotkin Ph.D
- “Greater than the Sum of Our Parts: Discovering your True Self through Internal Family Systems Therapy” an audiobook by Richard C Schwartz Ph.D